Wednesday, October 22, 2008

fog

I love the fog in the morning. It makes everything clean and soft-edged. So I'm driving to work yesterday all amazed, and I cross the Fremont bridge and the fog is still as thick as something solid.

To appreciate where I was, the Fremont bridge is the the second longest steel tied arch bridge in the world, after the Caiyuanba Bridge across the Yangtze River in China. It is a double-deck freeway bridge, accommodating I-405 which circumvents the downtown area.

It is also the tallest bridge in Portland. I once heard a man tell a story about not being able to jump off the Fremont to commit suicide because when he got there, "It was too damn high." (Although, come to think about it, he may have meant him.) The bottom deck at center point is 175 feet above the Willamette River, and the top of the center arch above the top deck is 381 feet from the water—the good Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

So I drive across the bridge on my way to work. Amazed. And I believe just enough in seizing the moment and am just enough of a nerd that I turn around, drive back across the bridge east-bound (lower level), turn around, and drive across the top deck again - so I can take pictures with my cell phone over the steering wheel.

I embrace my nerdiness.

I love fog.

Sherri ;-)

No comments: