For the first couple of days we wondered if the wind would ever stop blowing, because it didn't. On the second night of our stay, we were awakened from a sound sleep by a terrifying noise. It wasn't until the light of day that we realized the screech and thud we'd heard was the tv dish blowing off the roof! Didn't want or need it anyways...
The whales never really showed up, we only saw spouts on a few different occasions, but I couldn't even guess how many peaceful hours we've spent just wave-watching.
The ocean at this spot is amazing. It was definitely one of the highlights of our time here (once the winds died down) drinking our morning tea out by the pool, her feet in and mine not, just enjoying the power and serenity of the sea.
There is so much to see and do on this island, and being here was, for me, a reconnection to things rooted deep within. My mother was a Hilo girl, born and raised, moved to the mainland at 16 but she gave the island culture (and a little bit more than a little bit of pidgin) to her children. Then, I spent a month here when I was 18, working on some condos in Punalu'u while staying with mom's "auntie Kay guys" in Hilo. I mentioned that to a pretty little barista in one of the island's many coffee shops on my first morning here, and she told me, "Aloha, welcome home."
I think my wife felt every bit as welcomed and as "home" as I have this week.
To other guests, if you have seen the things I'm about to mention, you already know...and if you haven't, do:
Maku'u Farmer's Market, right up the road on Sunday morning. Good times. If you like Farmer's markets, go to the Hilo one too...Wednesdays and Saturdays, dawn 'til it's gone.
Go as far as you can to wherever they're letting you go to see the lava meet the sea. We were probably a mile away, but it was still impressive. Go before dark, stay after.

I know it's far, but go to Pu'uhonua o Honaunau. Tell Charles the Park Ranger that "Rick, that shady haole guy", said to tell him,"Aloha." If you're there in time for the walking tour, you'd be a fool not to go with him. He's a treasure. So was seeing the turtles and humpback there.
If you're out that way, Big Jake's Island BBQ in Captain Cook. Suck the bones good.
Ning's Thai Cuisine in Pahoa. I wonder how hard it is to get takeout back to the mainland...
Wai'opae tidepools. Be patient. Take your time. Walk slow.
Punalu'u black sand beach...and sea turtles.

Barbara and Jack, thank you for the use of this beautiful place. Yeah, we paid for it...and it was worth it. We hope to come back. And if you ever need some skilled carpenter type help here, and are willing to provide a stay at the place in exchange...I think I can figure out some way to make that happen...
Aloha, and mahalo nui loa.
No comments:
Post a Comment